Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Altec A256C Amplifier

  1. #1
    Inactive Member Hotwheelsfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 20th, 2011
    Posts
    6
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Altec A256C Amplifier

    Hello,

    I am new to the board and joined because I have a few Altec items.

    I was looking for some info on my 256 amp and found this site.

     AltecA256Cfront

     AltecA256Cback

     AltecA256Cfrontopen

    My amp had the T1 transformer knocked off and may need another.

    it is a 16187-Q

     AltecA256Cdamage

    I may also need a pair of the 807 tubes.

    This amp sure seems to be a monster and I don't know much more about it.

    The amp seems pretty clean, but I only have one...

    I was wondering if this could be used a a guitar amp or would I need another 256 amp to be able to put this to good use?

    Bob
    [URL="http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n58/hotwheelsfan/Audio%20Equipment/"]My Audio Equipment[/URL]

    [URL="http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n58/hotwheelsfan/67%20Chevelle%20Restoration%20Project/"]67 Chevelle Restoration Project[/URL]

  2. #2
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Altec A256C Amplifier

    Welcome Bob!

    Nice find! It would certainly make a fine guitar amp, but you could probably sell it for enough as-is to buy a really nice old Fender or such. The transformer that's whacked is merely a step-up (impedance matching) input level job to allow low Z line inputs, so for guitar (or other Hi-Z apps) you could likely bypass it altogether. An exact replacement will be very pricey if you find one, but there are many others that would fill the bill, including other Altecs if "stock" isn't required.

    One precaution; unless you know it was in use within the last year or two, the first time power-up should be done slowly and incrementally with a Variac to re-form the electrolytic caps that are well beyond their expected lifespan. Replacing them (the round, metal cans topside) would be my preference.

    If you're gonna sell it, sell it as-is. If you're gonna use it, restore it.
    "[I]We're going all the way, till the wheels fall off and burn[/I]!"
    Bob Dylan, from [I]Brownsville Girl[/I]

    [I]"Time wounds all heels"[/I]
    John Lennon, referring to the Nixon/Hoover deportation fiasco.

  3. #3
    HB Super Moderator
    Altec A256C Amplifier


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,257
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: Altec A256C Amplifier

    Hey Bob :welcome: to the board. That's what I figured you just did a search and found that thread,otherwise you would have had to do a whole lot of reading to go back that far.Nice clean amp you got there! :2thumbsup:

    Again welcome !

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Hotwheelsfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 20th, 2011
    Posts
    6
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Altec A256C Amplifier

    Thanks for the welcomes,

    I appriciate the info on my amp. I have learned about using a variac to fire up old equipment and have a nice one to use. I am new to repairing or working on amps, so I really value the information.

    I have a feeling this amp may be in a better home if I sell it. I know its not a very common amp and may be hard to sell, but I'd hate to start molesting it if it should'nt be altered.
    (At least by me, if I don't need the amp)

    Once again,
    I thank you for the valuable info, bfish, and to the others from the site.
    I have 2 other Altec amps, 9940A's, and found some posts here about those.

    Bob
    [URL="http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n58/hotwheelsfan/Audio%20Equipment/"]My Audio Equipment[/URL]

    [URL="http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n58/hotwheelsfan/67%20Chevelle%20Restoration%20Project/"]67 Chevelle Restoration Project[/URL]

  5. #5
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Altec A256C Amplifier

    You're welcome Bob, good luck!
    "[I]We're going all the way, till the wheels fall off and burn[/I]!"
    Bob Dylan, from [I]Brownsville Girl[/I]

    [I]"Time wounds all heels"[/I]
    John Lennon, referring to the Nixon/Hoover deportation fiasco.

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member mah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 28th, 2008
    Posts
    2,003
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Altec A256C Amplifier

    HI, Bob,

    You could sell the amp and get some Altec VOICE OF THE HIGHWAY speakers for the Chevelle.

    PS. There are currently some on Ebay if you want to see what they look like. Search this forum for more info.
    Opinion is only as valid as its verifiable supporting evidence.

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member RonSSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    1,222
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

    Re: Altec A256C Amplifier

    I'm guessing that amp would fetch somewhere between $1K and $2K on ebay.

    I had a pair of it's baby brothers A247A and I have seldome seen them but they go for over a grand each. Too bad I took mine apart for the iron.......

    Ron
    Enjoying Altec Speakers since 1972

  8. #8
    HB Forum Owner tomt's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 7th, 2003
    Posts
    5,483
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Re: Altec A256C Amplifier

    Late 40's, early 50's.

    65 watts.

    Balanced throughout

    one of the Most Quiet amps i'd heard so far.

    Best to keep, if you want to listen to music.


    this guy's dad most likey made the xformers for the 256.

    Audio Transformers By Cinemag Inc.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.